Uninstall Trend Micro OfficeScan without the password.

Have you lost the Trend Micro OfficeScan Client uninstall password?
Here is two tips on how to reset / remove the password.

TIP # 1

1. Search for the file called ofscan.ini. It is usually located in the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro Folder
  2. Open the file and search for Uninstall_Pwd= The line should look something like this:
    Uninstall_Pwd=!CRYPT!523F81805821877E0B01581347A29A8A7832308289578B8F175DF692BF
  3. Remove everything on the line that is behind Uninstall_Pwd=
  4. After Uninstall_Pwd= write 70 it should look like this Uninstall_Pwd=70
  5. Save the file.
  6. Go to Add Remove Program and uninstall Trend Micro OffieScan. When prompted for the password enter 1 as the password,

TIP # 2

1. Disconnect the computer from the network.
  2. Open regedit.
  3. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\PC-cillinNTCorp\CurrentVersion\Misc.]
  4. Change the dword “Allow Uninstall” from 0 to 1
  5. Use Add remove programs to uninstall Trend Micro.
  6. Restart your computer.
This entry was posted in Security. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Uninstall Trend Micro OfficeScan without the password.

1. _Martin_ says:

I dont have the Uninstall_Pwd= file :/

2. Do you have the ofscan.ini file.
    If you cann’t find it try tip 2. But be carefull when edeting the registry.

3. aalap says:

hey when will i changing the value of allow uninstall in the regedit then error message displayed cannot edit allow uninstall.
    please guide me how to uninstall trendmicro office scan without antivirus

4. ekrem says:

restart the system in safe mode for editing the registry.
    use msconfig to disable the officescan services.
    after restart, you can uninstall the officescan client.

5. Giovani says:

The correct file is ofcscan.ini not ofscan.ini

6. Peter says:

Don’t have the …PC-cillinNTCorp\CurrentVersion\Misc. under Trend Micro

7. Peter what version of Trend Micro are you using?

8. iqbal says:

hi! I’m using windows 7 and i can’t uninstall trend micro in my pc after following tip #1
    please advice. tq..

9. Hi iqbal.
    Can you try editing the registry?
    What version of Trend Officescan are you using?

BR Chris

10. ed says:

thanx , was simple and worked

11. Namit Mehta says:

both d tips aren’t working
    my version 10.0

12. jessie says:

hey im using windows 7 and I want to uninstall the trend micro office scan but I don’t have regedit and I tried tip #1 but it didn’t work!! Any other tips?

13. ash says:

its working with tip 2 thank you

14. Luis Geovanni says:

Para los que han intentado cambiar la clave en el Registro y les sale el aviso de Error que no se puede cambiar el contienido del valor.

La solucion para mi fue, reiniciar y entrar en modo seguro.. hacer los mimos pasos para editar el registro y listo.

Reiniciar y proceder a desinstalar el programa. Es todo.

15. Hoe says:

Why cant i SAVE the file.. With the tip1 thing

16. Christoffer Steding says:

Hi !

You need to open notepad as an administrator then browse to the file that you want to edit. Then you will be able to save it

BR Chris

17. jatin saxena says:

I am trying to uninstall trend micro office scan client..so a new pop up comes which asks for password to uninstall…let me know how to uninstall this..
    Thanks and regards
    Jatin saxena

18. M says:

Neither method will work due to the client self protection that is on by default.
    Deleting/Editting registry/ini file is automatically undone upon submit.
    Some articles on the internet suggest that there is a possibility that you can do this if you’re fast enough after logging into the computer.
    You can forget about that.
    The self protection services start before Windows GINA is started.
    In fact OSCE clients can nearly fully start prior to networking services like DHCP & DNS start. (This is what often leads to clients not being managable from the server due to the fact that an FQDN was used during installation of the client rather than the IP address of the server).
    If you’re not allowed to uninstall the client, you won’t be able to unless the administrator enables these functions for you from the server management console

19. Brilliant !! solution posted by Christoffer Steding. I cant believe it, not even trend Micro technicians were able to provide me this solution, I open a ticket with them, and took days to answer back, and when they answer, they did not have any solution. Thank you very much Christoffer.
    Christoffer Steding has resolved my problem. Just that I did it a little bit different. Instead of looking for the ofscan.ini, I searched the registry for the Uninstall_Pwd and I found it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\PC-cillinNTCorp\CurrentVersion\Misc. I changed the key value to 70.
    I also searched for the Allow Uninstall and I found it under the same above path. I changed from 0 to 1.
    I also changed the unload password: the Reg Key is Unload_PWD: I set it to 70 as well.
    Now, notice that if you want still keep TM with password, you will just change the Uninstall_Pwd= key, But if you don’t want password anymore or if all you need to is to get rid of TrendMicro, then you only need to change the dword “Allow Uninstall” from 0 to 1.

20. Christoffer Steding says:

Thanks Rodolfo for the information. :)

21. Shivaraj says:

Just install kaspersky anti virus it will automatically removes trend anti virus

22. Shankar says:

Not change the allow uninstall pwd value

23. Shankar says:

Not change the allow uninstall pwd value and also not change the uninstall_pwd

24. Frank says:

You sir are a life saver!

25. MCaycedo says:

Rodolfo’s option worked for me.

Damm Antivirus. It’s worst than a virus. I only installed it because some VPN software needed it.

26. Nazish says:

To edit the OFCSCAN.INI file or the registry keys of Trend Micro boot the windows OS in SAFE MODE. Then it will allow to save the changes. However I have Trend Micro 11 version, even after successfully changing all registry entries and OFCSCAN.INI values, the unload and uninstall passwords are shown incorrect.

Whether the !CRYPTEX! prefix before the default passwords makes it difficult ?

27. al hayman says:

Thanks a lot. Option 2 worked for me.

28. al hayman says:

Option 2 worked for me.

Al Hayman

29. ned050 says:

I tried option 1 first but no luck. I then did the safe mode edit for option 2 and sfter a reboot in normal mode it worked. Thank you for this information.

30. Rene says:

TIP # 2 worked for me for Officescan 11.5

31. Robert Paulson says:

Thanks for the info. It pointed me in the right direction. I found the registry key here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TrendMicro\PC-cillinNTCorp\CurrentVersion\Misc.

May be due to 32/64bit, I’m not sure. But changing Allow Uninstall to 1 did the trick. Posting it here in case it helps anyone else.

32. Julie Shafto says:

Thank you Robert Paulson – that registry edit was what I needed!

33. I have tried option 1 my uninstall password had nothing on it after the equal sign. I tried to change to 70 and I could not safe the file. The PC says I do not have administration rights please assist