Everybody that is working with deployment loves drivers and new computer models.
One good thing is that more and more PC manufacture is making it easier to handle drivers for their models.
To manage drivers for HP you can use HP SoftPaq Download Manager and HP System Software Manager.
* SoftPaqs = Applications and Drivers for HP Computers and Servers.
How does SDM and SSM work together?
- HP SDM connects to Internet to download the desired SoftPaqs for the computers.
- The SoftPaqs are saved in a shared folder on for example the server where you have your deployment share.
- SSM connects to the shared folder and checks for available SoftPaqs for the system that is being deployed and Installs the SoftPaqs.
HP SoftPaq Download Manager (SDM) – Lets you easy download drivers from HP.
HP System Software Manager (SSM)– Installs the drivers on your computer during the Task Sequences.
To run and setup SSM in admin mode, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to Hewlett-Packard\SSM in the Program Files directory (or Program Files (x86) if running 64-bit Windows), and then run SSM.exe
- When prompted for the location of the file share, navigate to the SDM download directory. Type the name you want to use for the file share, and then click Next.
- If you are presented with a message about SSM.CAB being missing, double-click on the specified text to copy the file to the file store, and then click Next until you reach client options.
- Select Reboot client upon completion of upgrades, and then click Next.
- Click Next until you reach the Build Database window.
- Select Check ftp.hp.com for CVA file updates first. This causes SSM to update the specification file for each SoftPaq, which may include bug fixes and expanded coverage.
- Click Build Database, and wait for the build process to finish.
- Click Finish to complete the process.
- Copy ssm.exe to the root of the SDM download directory. This allows easier execution of SSM from the network.
Configure SSM for use with a Task Sequences.
- Create a new application in MDT. Select Application without source files …..
- Enter HP SSM for application name.
- Enter the Command line \\server-name\share\ssm.exe . /install
- Press next a couple of times.
- Go to your Task Sequence and take properties.
- Add the application HP SSM
When HP SSM is executed it will check in the drivers folder for missing drivers and applications for the machine.
For more information you can read the following white papers from HP.