I was getting this error message on both of my domain controllers. The solution was to Use the BurFlags registry key to reinitialize File Replication Service replica sets.
On both servers do step 1 – 7
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type cmd and then press ENTER.
3. In the Command box, type net stop ntfrs.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type regedit and then press ENTER.
6. Locate the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NtFrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup
7. In the right pane, double-click BurFlags.
8. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type D2 on one of the servers and on the other server type D4 then click OK.
9. Quit Registry Editor, and then switch to the Command box.
10. In the Command box on the server where you set the DWORD to D4, type net start ntfrs. When the service has started go to your other server and type net start ntfrs.
11. Quit the Command box.
12. Check the eventlog for messages
For more information see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290762